Please teach your kids to remember to bring their library books on their library day. Visiting the library and checking out books is a privilege and we expect all students to take care of their books and return them on time. Teach your kids to be responsible and take care of their library books to avoid fines.
Book Check Out
Each teacher has a scheduled weekly library time when they visit the library to check out books. Books are due in 7 days and can be renewed if the student has not finished the book/s. To renew a book, students must bring the book/s in to the library.
Students are welcome to return their books as soon as they are finished with them. They do not have to wait until their library day. Each teacher has a copy of the library schedule, kids are welcome to come return, renew or check-out books during scheduled "open library" times.
If a student has an overdue book, or book fines, they will not be allowed to check out library materials until their outstanding books are returned/fines are paid.
Fines: Lost or Damaged Books
Fines are incurred when books are lost (not returned within 3 weeks) or damaged. Fines are payable to the library in CASH only. Lost books can be replaced by the same or better title - please contact Mrs. Harris for details for your specific book title.
End of Year
Students with outstanding library fines or unreturned books will not get their yearbook or report card. Fifth graders will not be able to register, get schedules or textbooks, or participate in 5th grade end of year activities if they have outstanding fines/unreturned library materials. Fines follow your student to their next grade level.
Please teach your kids to be responsible with their books to avoid fines.
Be Responsible for the Books You Check Out
Please take care of our school’s library books so that others may enjoy them for years to come. If you check out a book and notice damage, tell Mrs. Harris right away.
Please monitor your kids and ensure they are taking care of borrowed materials from the library.
- Read them with clean hands.
- Please no eating or drinking (especially sticky or greasy foods) when they are reading their books.
- No writing or coloring in books.
- Keep library materials away from pets and young siblings.
- Keep books clean and dry.
- *Tip - provide a large or oversize ziplock bag for your kids to put their library books in while in their backpacks. This keeps the books from getting bent, ripped and wet should their water bottle leak.
- Do not take your library books into the bathroom to read.
- Keep them safe in your backpack so the pages and covers do not get bent or torn.
- Don't drop, throw, kick, toss, etc. them or leave them outside.
- And, return your library books on time!