If you are concerned about yourself or a friend, there is help. Please don't keep it a secret!
- You can also make an anonymous CALL FOR HELP. 1-800-273-8255 National Suicide Prevention Hotline 24-hour, toll-free suicide prevention service
Click on a link below:
What Is Depression?
Everyone occasionally feels blue or sad. But these feelings are usually short-lived and pass within a couple of days. When you have depression, it interferes with daily life and causes pain for both you and those who care about you. Depression is a common but serious illness. Many people with a depressive illness never seek treatment. But the majority, even those with the most severe depression, can get better with treatment. Medications, psychotherapies, and other methods can effectively treat people with depression. Learn more about depression here.
Suicide Prevention ResourcesWhen someone takes their own life, people react differently. Those who did not know the person very well may not be affected, while close friends or family members others may experience a great deal of sadness. If you observe any behavioral or emotional changes in your child following the death of a friend or family member, it may be an indication that he or she is having difficulty coping.
- Click here for information on coping with suicide.
- Click here for a checklist of symptoms, common signs and clues.
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention also lists the risk factors for suicide and frequently asked questions.
- For a list of books that deal with the topic of suicide, click here.
Operated by teens, for teens, Teen Line helps adolescents address their problems through a confidential peer hotline and community outreach program, from abuse, AIDS, alcoholism, depression, divorce, drugs, and gangs to homelessness, pregnancy, sexuality, violence and suicide. Toll-free in California, it’s a place to talk things out with another teen in a safe, non-judgmental environment.
- 1-800-TLC-TEEN (1-800-852-8336) or 310-855-HOPE (310-855-4673)
Nightly 6:00 pm-10:00 pm (pst)