Interdistrict Transfers (Transfers between MVUSD and other districts)
Parents who reside in other school districts may request an Interdistrict Transfer if they choose to have their children attend school in MVUSD and parents of students living within the boundaries of MVUSD may choose to attend another district. Board Policy and Regulation 5117 and Education Code 46600- 46611outline the reasons for which a transfer may be approved and the appeal process.
Interdistrict Transfer Approval Process - Out of MVUSD
- Parent obtains an Interdistrict Transfer Request form from the District Support Center. Parent completes form and submits to MVUSD for processing.
- If approved, the Interdistrict Transfer Request form will be sent to the requested district or parents may hand carry the Request to the requested district if they so desire.
- If the Interdistrict Transfer Request is not approved, MVUSD will notify the parent or guardian of the denial.
- The student's requested district will then approve or deny the request and make appropriate notifications to parents and MVUSD.
Interdistrict Transfer Approval Process - Into MVUSD
Parent starts the process with the district of residence. That district's interdistrict transfer form is completed by the parent. If approved by the district of residence, MVUSD receives the approved form for processing.
Interdistrict transfers will be accepted from students living outside of the district on a priority basis from January 21 through February 14, 2014. After February 28 transfer requests will be considered on a case by case, space available basis.
- Facilities Department staff will contact the principal of the requested site to ascertain:
- space availability
- recommendation for approval/denial
- Parent will be notified in writing of approval/denial.
Guidelines and Other Related Information - Interdistrict Transfers
- Approvals/denials are made by Facilities Department staff and not by school sites. Schools will not accept or process any transfer forms prior to approval.
- Approvals for choice are subject to annual renewal.
- All approvals are subject to space availability and meeting the conditions of the agreement relative to behavior and achievement.
- Upon the recommendation of the principal, the superintendent or his designee may revoke an Interdistrict Transfer at any time for continued problems with attendance, behavior or academics.
- A student attending on an Interdistrict Transfer who commits an expellable offense will be subject to immediate revocation of the transfer permit and MVUSD will, in most cases, pursue the expulsion process. If the expulsion decision is upheld, the transfer will be revoked at that time. If the parent withdraws the student from the district, the expulsion process may still continue.
- An interdistrict transfer may be approved for the remainder of the year only to allow a student to complete a school year at the former school, subject to space availability.