AVIDAVID Coordinator: Click here to email Denise Guzman"AVID is a fourth- through twelfth-grade system to prepare students in the academic middle for four-year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students, and in closing the achievement gap."
Click here to go to the AVID website
- encouraging effective note-taking techniques and habits
- promoting the four pillars of Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading (WICOR)
- supporting students in actively participating in a rigorous academic environment
- promoting student and parent involvement in decisions and planning
- providing information about colleges and how to get there
- supporting students in setting and achieving goals that will take them to college
National Demonstration SchoolUpdated: July 25, 2023
Murrieta Mesa held a special celebration on February 28, 2017, to celebrate becoming an AVID National Demonstration School. AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a college-readiness system designed to narrow the achievement gap between the lowest- and highest-performing students and increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges.
Murrieta Mesa Principal at the time Steve Ellis said, “It has taken three and half years of hard work and dedication on the part of students, staff, and parents to move from being a school that does AVID to becoming the model of AVID and earning the designation of AVID National Demonstration School.”
Murrieta Mesa and MVUSD AVID Coordinator Denise Guzman stated “I am extremely proud of our students and staff. When we see kids entering high school unsure of future plans who end up in college with a clear direction because of the support and structure AVID provides, I know we are changing lives.”
AVID Demonstration Schools undergo a rigorous validation process and are required to be re-validated every few years to ensure high levels of implementation, with quality and fidelity to AVID strategies school-wide. Mesa's most recent validation was in 2023.