The goal of NJROTC/NNDCC unit suicide prevention programs is to provide the mechanisms necessary to identify and respond to students who are at risk of self-destructive behaviors or possible suicide. The following are essential components of our unit's program:
a. The ability to recognize behavioral patterns and other warning signs that indicate that a young person may be at risk of suicide.
b. Active intervention that explores the level of risk without increasing it.
c. Ensuring that at risk students receive the necessary services.
d. Working with our school's counseling program for the implementation of measures following a crisis or traumatic event, to reduce the risk to those who have witnessed or been affected by the tragedy. The suicide, or violent or unexpected death, of a student or teacher can result in an increased risk of suicide for other vulnerable young people.
It can't be emphasized enough that we are not counselors or professional mental health experts - our goal is not to treat/counsel but to identify those students who may have a need in this area and to help get them the expert counseling that they need.
Teen suicide warning signs (from www.teensuicide.us)
It is important to take the warning signs of teen suicide seriously and to seek help if you think that you know a teenager who might be suicidal. Here are some of the things to look for:
- Disinterest in favorite extracurricular activities
- Problems at work and losing interest in a job
- Substance abuse, including alcohol and drug (illegal and legal drugs) use
- Behavioral problems
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Sleep changes
- Changes in eating habits
- Begins to neglect hygiene and other matters of personal appearance
- Emotional distress brings on physical complaints (aches, fatigues, migraines)
- Hard time concentrating and paying attention
- Declining grades in school
- Loss of interest in schoolwork
- Risk taking behaviors
- Complains more frequently of boredom
- Does not respond as before to praise
Not all of these teen suicide warning signs will be present in cases of possible teen suicide. There are many cases in which a good student commits suicide. It is important to watch for two or three signs as indications of depression, or even teen suicidal thoughts.Our training will use resources located at: http://www.yspp.org