HOW TO REPORT ABSENCES – Call the attendance line at 951-304-1885 press #1 for attendance
(24 hours – 7 days a week) or email email@example.com
Notification of Absence:
The school is required by the state to have an official explanation for all absences. Please call the school attendance office each and every day(s) your child is absent. When leaving a message on the attendance line, leave your child’s first and last name, the date of the absence, the reason for the absence, your name and a phone number where we can contact you. If your child is to be away from the school over a long period of time, please call the school and notify them of the absence in advance. You will need to work directly with teachers via e-mail to request homework. A 24-hour notice is needed if homework is desired for your child during a long absence. If your child is absent due to a doctor’s appointment, please provide the doctors note to the Attendance Office as soon as possible.
Absence from school breaks the continuity of learning. According to state law, your child's daily attendance is required each day that he/she is physically able. Parents or guardians are responsible for their child's attendance at school. The only valid reasons for excused absence from school (Ed. Code, Sec. 46010) are:
- An illness or an injury to the child
- A quarantine of the home by county or city health official
- A medical, dental, optometrist, or chiropractic appointment. (Provide Doctors Note)
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family
- Other absences are considered unexcused and not only cause a disruption to your child's instructional program, but are costly to the district.
- A student shall be excused in order to participate with a not-for-profit performing arts organization for a maximum of up to 5 days per school year provided the parent provides a written note to the school explaining the reason for the absence. (EC48225.5(2).
Unexcused absences are non-compliant and subject to truancy law after 3 incidents. California Ed Code states that teachers do not have to give make up work for unexcused absences.
Reasons NOT acceptable for being absent from school are but not limited to: going on a vacation, taking a personal day, babysitting a family member, missing the school bus, attending a sporting event, personal problems, family emergency, any other reason not included in “valid reasons for excused absence” (Ed. Code, Sec. 48205)
If your student arrives after the 9:05am bell, he/she is required to report to the office before going to class. Any student who is tardy in excess of 30 minutes per day for 3 days in one school year is truant and may be reported to the attendance supervisor and /or the School Attendance Review Board.
Leaving School During School Hours:
Any parent/guardian planning to take their child out of school during school hours must come to the office, show proper ID, and sign their child out of school. A parent/guardian requesting to take their child out should have their name on the emergency card. The clerk will call your child's room and have him/her sent to you in the office. Please do not call the office to request your student be waiting in the front office. We are unable to accommodate that request.