• Youth Experiencing Homelessness & Foster Youth 

    Youth experiencing homelessness can enroll in school even if they have uncertain housing, a temporary address or no permanent physical address.  They are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if they live: 

    • In a shelter (family, domestic violence or youth shelter) or a transitional living program
    • In a motel, hotel or weekly rate housing
    • In a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
    • In temporary foster care or with an adult who is not a parent or guardian
    • In substandard housing without electricity, water or heat
    • With friends or family because they are a runaway or unaccompanied youth

    To enroll or attend school, if you live under any of these conditions, you do not need to provide:

    • Proof of residency
    • Immunization records or TB skin test results
    • School records
    • Legal guardianship papers

    You may:

    • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which you are eligible
    • Continue to attend the school in which you were last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school's attendance boundary or district.
    • Receive transportation from your current residence back to your school of origin
    • Qualify automatically for free and reduced-price breakfast and lunches
    • Contact the district's homeless youth liaison to resolve any disputes that arise during the enrollment process.

    Click here to read the provisions of the federal McKinney-Vento Act