MVUSD is a progressive, fast-growing district with a K-12 sequence leading to academic success for each and every student. Students continually perform above the national average on standardized tests. In addition, MVUSD schools have received many honors and distinctions. High test scores and creative programs place Murrieta Valley Unified School District in the upper echelon of school districts.
California Exemplary District
Murrieta Valley Unified is a 2018 California Exemplary District, one of 22 in the state and the only district in Riverside County. Exemplary Districts have implemented model programs and practices that have had a positive impact on student outcomes.
California Distinguished Schools
- Alta Murrieta Elementary, 2000, 2004, 2010, 2018
- Avaxat Elementary, 2004
- Antelope Hills Elementary, 2008
- Buchanan Elementary, 2010, 2014, 2018
- E. Hale Curran Elementary, 1995, 2000, 2006, 2018
- Cole Canyon Elementary, 2006 and 2010
- Murrieta Elementary, 2014
- Tovashal Elementary, 2004
- Thompson Middle School, 2001 and 2005
- Shivela Middle School, 2001 and 2013
- Murrieta Valley High School, 1999
- Vista Murrieta High School, 2009
Honor Roll District & Schools
- Alta Murrieta Elementary
- Avaxat Elementary
- Buchanan Elementary
- E. Hale Curran Elementary
- Murrieta Elementary
- Rail Ranch Elementary
- Shivela Middle School
- Warm Springs Middle School
California Gold Ribbon School
California Department of Education’s Gold Ribbon School Award recognizes the model efforts made by schools to implement the state’s rigorous academic standards, provide excellence and creativity in teaching, create positive school climate and achieve gains in student performance.
- Warm Springs Middle School, 2017
- Thompson Middle School, 2017
- Dorothy McElhinney Middle School, 2017
- Shivela Middle School, 2017
- Vista Murrieta High School, 2017
- Thompson Middle School, 2015
- Avaxat Elementary, 2016
- E. Hale Curran Elementary 2016
- Rail Ranch Elementary, 2016
Niche 2018 Best Schools & Districts
Niche 2018 Best School District rankings are out, and MVUSD gets an A. Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, teacher quality, public school district ratings, and more. Niche analyzes data and millions of parent reviews to assess the key aspects of K-12 schools to produce their comprehensive rankings, report cards, and profiles for K-12 Schools.
Two AVID Sites of Distinction Schools - Murrieta Mesa High School and Warm Springs Middle SchoolRigorous College Preparatory Academics
- International Baccalaureate Program at Murrieta Valley High School
- Guaranteed admission to California State University, San Marcos
- AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) programs at all secondary schools
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses allow students to earn college credits while still in high school
- Dual college enrollment allow students to take college classes on high school campuses and earn college credits
- High graduation rates (97.6% average for comprehensive high schools in 2017/18)
- Career preparation through internships
- Career Technical Education courses offer free job training, high school credit, training certificates and career planning.
- Multiple career pathways at all High Schools.
- Alternative education options at Murrieta Canyon Academy including online high school courses, K-12 independent study with co-enrollment opportunities and a continuation education program for 9-12 grade students who need remediation and a smaller classroom environment.
Awards, Honors & Distinctions
- Recipient of California School Board Association Golden Bell Award for Breakthrough Program
- Recipient of California School Board Association Golden Bell Award for Early Childhood Education
- Recipient of California School Board Association Golden Bell Award for Safe Schools Program
- Odyssey of the Mind teams advance to the World Championship Competitions for seven straight years
- State & National Student Activities Program Awards for MVHS, VMHS & MMHS
Highly Successful and Competitive Interscholastic Athletics Programs
In addition to winning countless league and state championships, our students, high schools and administrators have been recognized for being scholar-athletes, CIF Champions for Character and a National Gatorade Athlete of the Year.
Arts and Music EducationSouthern California Public Radio surveyed 41 school districts in Orange, Riverside, Ventura, Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties and ranked MVUSD the third highest district offering the most access to dance, visual arts, music and theater.MVUSD has two Visual and Performing Arts Schools - Lisa J. Mails Elementary and Dorothy McElhinney Middle School - where arts education is woven into the curriculum in all subjects.
VMHS Jazz Band took 1st place at the Western States Jazz Festival.
- MVHS student Andrew Tang performed at Carnegie Hall after winning the 2014 and 2015 American Protégé International Piano & Strings Competition against musicians from 30 countries
- MVHS Varsity Dance Team took 1st place in Jazz & Hip Hop at State Championships
- Murrieta Valley High School's Band performed in the National Memorial Day Parade and at the National Festival of States in Washington D.C.