Through the district's Horizons Unlimited program local teaching artists, and teaching specialists, often work directly in classrooms to connect their talents and passions within classroom experiences. From the progressive sing-alongs in kindergarten, ballroom dancing, Shakespeare, comedy, cartooning, to upper grade level performance-based opportunities, students are seeing the possibilities for positive self-expression through the visual and performing arts. Their future horizons, are unlimited.
In the Murrieta Unified Unified School District, connecting artists and district teaching specialists in the arts, within local site experiences, fosters and develops positive connections across multiple disciplines. These often include:
- TK: Music Connections Program, Hip Hop Dancing (8 weeks)
- TK and Kindergarten: Music Connections Program & Orff Schulwerk Music (8 weeks)
- Kindergarten: Music Connections Program, Sing-A-Long
- First Grade: Music Connections Program, Music Appreciation Jazz, Musical Theater, Opera, and Classical Music and Musical Theatre culminating in a show
- Second Grade: Ballroom Dancing culminating in a show, Introduction to the Masters and Art History
- Third Grade: Music Connections Program, 3rd Grade Recorder @ Selected Sites, Cartooning, Hip Hop Dancing.
- Grades 3 – 5: Ballet Folklorico and Shakespeare
- Recorders and Visual Arts
- Fifth Grade: Toastmasters, Comedy
- Grades 4-5: Cultural Dance Salsa, Hip Hop, West African, Native American, Line Dancing, and Bollywood
- Middle, High School, Adult Transition, and Canyon Academy: Music Connections Program & SDC Choir/Music “Legato” (Semester/Full Year)
Visiting Artists / Teachers on Special Assignment
- Tralain Hoffman teaches singing to kindergartners
- David Chavez teaches Ballet Folklorico dance
- Barbara Chiofalo, Emily Goedken, Callie Sheahan, Hannah Reichart teach musical theater for 1st grader
- John Clark teaches Shakespeare to middle school students
- Marlynn Cooley teaches spoken word poetry to middle and high school students
- Callie Sheahan teaches Hip Hop to TK and kindergartners and choir to middle school students with special needs
- Rob Crisell teaches Shakespeare to elementary and high school students
- Cindy Droubi teaches introduction to art history to second graders
- Emily Goedken teaches opera, musical theater, classical music and jazz to first graders
- Brian Manning teaches cartooning to third graders
- Jennifer Bonneteau teaches portraits, landscapes and artist trading cards
- Samantha Potter teaches ballroom dancing
- Jay Quade, Alejandra Warren, and Callie Sheahan teaches hip hop dance to kindergarten, third, and fifth graders.
- Karen Robertson public speaking through comedy
- Tim Tikasingh teaches recorders to fourth graders and choir to 3rd-5th graders.
- Aquom Brooks teaches Cultural Dance to fifth graders
- Thomas Garvin teaches recorders to third (selected sites) and fourth graders, choir to 3rd-5th graders, SDC choirs 6th-12th graders and Summit ATP, and TK - 3rd Music Connections program, and Murrieta Canyon Academy Program.