• Inter-district Transfers (in & out of Murrieta Valley USD to/from other districts)

    Parents who reside in other school districts may request an Inter-district Transfer if they choose to have their children attend school in MVUSD and parents of students living within the boundaries of Murrieta Valley USD may use an Inter-district Transfer to attend another district.  Board Policy and Regulation 5117  and Education Code 46600- 46611 outline the reasons for which a transfer may be approved and the appeal process.


    Inter-district Transfers OUT of Murrieta Valley USD

    • Parent(s) completes Inter-district Transfer Permit and presents it to the district they wish to transfer to. For your convenience, the form is pre-signed off as approved to leave Murrieta Valley USD.
    • The requested district will then approve or deny the request and notify parents.


    Inter-district Transfers INTO MVUSD

    • Parent(s) begins the process with their home district of residence.
    • The home district's inter-district transfer form must be completed by the parent(s) and approved by the district of residence.  
    • Following home district's approval, Murrieta Valley USD receives the approved form for processing from the home district OR the parent if the home district has provided them with the approved form.
    • If the home district of residence denies the request, parents should follow their district's appeals process. If denied a second time, parents may appeal the decision to the Riverside County Office of Education. Click here for the appeals forms and process.
    • If this is a NEW Inter-district transfer request, please provide Murrieta Valley USD with a recent copy of the student's grades/transcript , attendance record and a copy of their discipline record from their current school. You can email these documents in PDF format to us here, or drop them off in person at the District Support office located at 41870 McAlby Court, Murrieta.
      • SPECIAL EDUCATION: If the student has an IEP, parents need to submit a recent copy of the IEP to Denise Estevez, Assistant Director of Special Education, 41831 McAlby Court, Murrieta, CA 92562.
    • Once requests are received, the MVUSD Student Support Department staff will contact the principal of the requested site to ascertain:
      • Space availability
      • Recommendation for approval/denial
    • Parents will be notified before June 30, either by email or mail, when a decision is reached.


    Interdistrict Transfer Guidelines and Important Information

    • Approvals/denials of Inter-district Transfers are made by Student Support Department staff and not by school administrators. Schools will not accept or process any Inter-district Transfer forms.
    • All approvals are subject to space availability and students meeting behavioral and achievement expectations.
    • All RENEWAL transfer requests received that are in good standing (meeting the behavioral, attendance and achievement expectations) will be automatically approved each year for the duration of enrollment at their current school. 
    • Families that are on a current transfer from MENIFEE or TEMECULA  do not need to complete yearly transfer requests unless they are changing grade spans (from elementary to middle school or middle to high school).  A new transfer is required for all transition years.
    • Upon the recommendation of the principal, the superintendent or his designee may revoke an Inter-district Transfer at any time for continued problems with attendance, behavior or academics.
    • A student that is attending based on a inter-district transfer who commits an expellable offense will be subject to revocation of the transfer permit and Murrieta Valley USD will, in most cases, pursue the expulsion process. If the expulsion decision is upheld, the transfer will be revoked at that time. Even if the parent withdraws the student from the district, the district may continue to pursue the expulsion process.
    • An Inter-district Transfer may be approved for the remainder of the year only in order to allow a student to complete a school year at the current school, subject to space availability.
Last Modified on May 9, 2024