Interdistrict Transfers (in & out of MVUSD to/from other districts)
Parents who reside in other school districts may request an Interdistrict Transfer if they choose to have their children attend school in MVUSD and parents of students living within the boundaries of MVUSD may use an Interdistrict Transfer to attend another district. Board Policy and Regulation 5117 and Education Code 46600- 46611 outline the reasons for which a transfer may be approved and the appeal process.
Interdistrict Transfers OUT of MVUSD
- Parent completes Interdistrict Transfer Request Form and presents it to the district they wish to transfer to.
- The requested district will then approve or deny the request and notify parents.
Interdistrict Transfers INTO MVUSD
Parent starts the process with their home district of residence.
The home district's interdistrict transfer form must be completed by the parent and approved by the district of residence.
Following home district's approval, MVUSD receives the approved form for processing from the home district OR the parent if the home district has provided them with the approved form.
- If the home district denies the request, parents may appeal the decision with Riverside County Office of Education. Click here for the appeals forms and process.
- If this is a NEW Interdistrict request, please provide MVUSD with a recent copy of the student's grades/transcript and a copy of their discipline record from their current school when submitting the Interdistrict request to MVUSD.
- SPECIAL ED If the student has a prior IEP, parents need to submit a recent copy to Denise Buonauro, Assistant Director of Special Education, 41831 McAlby Court, Murrieta, CA 92562.
- You can email the home district approved form with these documents, as a pdf, to Shanan Shockley at email@example.com or drop these documents off at the Murrieta Valley School District office at 41870 McAlby Court in Murrieta.
Interdistrict transfers requests will be accepted from students living outside of the district during a specific timeline, CLICK HERE TO VIEW TIMELINE.
- Once requests are received, the MVUSD Student Services Department staff will contact the principal of the requested site to ascertain:
- space availability
- recommendation for approval/denial
- Parent will be notified before June 30, either by email or mail, when a decision is reached.
Interdistrict Transfer Guidelines and Information
- Approvals/denials of Interdistrict Transfers are made by Student Support Department staff and not by school administrators. Schools will not accept or process any Interdistrict Transfer forms prior to approval.
- Approvals for choice are subject to annual renewal.
- All approvals are subject to space availability and students meeting behavioral and achievement expectations.
- Upon the recommendation of the principal, the superintendent or his designee may revoke an Interdistrict Transfer at any time for continued problems with attendance, behavior or academics.
- A student attending on an Interdistrict Transfer who commits an expellable offense will be subject to revocation of the transfer permit and MVUSD will, in most cases, pursue the expulsion process. If the expulsion decision is upheld, the transfer will be revoked at that time. Even if the parent withdraws the student from the district, the district may continue to pursue the expulsion process.
- An Interdistrict Transfer may be approved for the remainder of the year only to allow a student to complete a school year at the former school, subject to space availability.