• Children between the ages of 2.6 months and 21 years that have suspected or identified disabilities in the areas listed below may be eligible to receive special education services at no cost to parents in the least restrictive environment to the maximum extent appropriate. Eligibility and services vary and are based on students’ needs.  Children enrolled in private schools, home schools or other public schools may also be eligible to receive special education services. 

    • Intellectual disability 
    • Emotional disturbance
    • Multiple disabilities
    • Deaf or hearing impairment
    • Orthopedic impairments
    • Autism  
    • Other health impairment
    • Traumatic brain injury
    • Speech and language impairment
    • Specific learning disabilities
    • Established medical disability
    • Blindness or vision impairment     


Special Education Services

  • We offer a continuum of services and program options that provide children with exceptional needs access to a free, appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment. Services include, but are not limited to:

    • Specialized academic instruction
    • Speech and language therapy
    • Occupational and physical therapy
    • Positive behavioral supports
    • Behavioral intervention services for students with autism
    • Preschool programs for students between the ages of three to five years old
    Parents of students with exceptional needs have additional rights and protections referred to as Parent Rights and Procedural safeguards  


Alternative Dispute Resolution

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) sometimes known as "Appropriate Dispute Resolution, is an informal method of settling concerns and/or disagreements related to the provision of special education services to students with special needs. ADR is voluntary. All involved must be willing participants who are prepared and open to finding common ground in the effort to move through the conflict. The ADR process encourages all parties to collaboratively problem-solve to reach a resolution without litigation. The Riverside County SELPA offers the following options for resolution:
    • Facilitation of Collaborative IEPs
    • Utilization of an Intake Coordinator to work with each LEA to resolve the concern/disagreement
    • Facilitation of a Resolution Session 
Last Modified on December 1, 2022