Private School Protocol
DEFINITIONSPrivate School Children with DisabilitiesAs used in this procedural statement, "private school children with disabilities" means children with disabilities voluntarily enrolled by their parents in private schools or facilities.Private School or FacilityAs used in this procedural statement, "private school or facility" means(1) private full-time day school pursuant to California Education Code section 48222 (including religious schools); private tutor pursuant to California Education Code section 48224; and/or (3) any other educational institution program, arrangement, or facility not sponsored, maintained, or managed by the District and for which the District does not collect average daily attendance funds. This includes home school instruction.
Dispute ResolutionWhen FAPE is not at issue, special education due process procedures are not available to parents for resolving concerns about the services provided to private school children voluntarily placed by their parents.No District is required to pay for the cost of educating a child with a disability at a private school (including special education and related services) if:
Disputes regarding whether a District made a FAPE available to the child (initial location, identification, and assessment of the parentally placed private school child with disabilities) may be resolved pursuant to local policies and procedures and/or by filing a request for due process hearing with the Office of Administrative Hearings.
- The District made a FAPE available to the child, and
- The parents voluntarily elected to place their child in a private school.
Disputes regarding these procedural guidelines regarding Children with Disabilities Enrolled by their Parents in Private Schools may be resolved pursuant to local policies and procedures, and/or by filing a complaint with the California Department of Education pursuant to Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations
PROCEDURESThe following procedures shall be followed by the Murrieta Valley Unified School District ("District") to ensure that the District:
- Locates, identifies, and evaluates all children ages three (3) to twenty-two (22) with disabilities enrolled by their parents in private schools including religious schools who may be eligible for special education services;
- Offers a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) to all children ages three (3) to twenty-two (22) with disabilities voluntarily enrolled by their parents in private schools, including religious schools, who are determined to be eligible for special education services.
MVUSD offers the following services under the Private Schools Protocol:
- Up to ten hours of consultation in the areas of speech/language, occupational therapy, mental health, APE, physical therapy;
- Assistive technology and/or equipment for students with orthopedic impairments;
- Training/professional development for private schools in the areas of effective instructional strategies to support students with disabilities, Universal Design for Learning, Implementation of Accommodations, Inclusion of Students with Disabilities, Mental Health and Social-Emotional Supports, Behavior Management, Effective Virtual Instruction for students with disabilities, and other related topics.
Last Modified on January 19, 2023